Achill move up to join the big boys

Soccer: Mayo League

Ballyhaunis Town were crowned League One Champions last weekend. Photo: Ciara Buckley/Mayo League

Ballyhaunis Town were crowned League One Champions last weekend. Photo: Ciara Buckley/Mayo League

The two sides who will be joining the big boys of Mayo junior soccer next season are now known, as Achill Rovers clinched second place in the Premier Division with a dramatic 3-2 win away to Partry Athletic last Sunday. The islanders booked their place as Brandon McGing put them in front for the first time in the game with seven minutes left to ensure they pipped Bangor Hibs to the promotion spot. Partry who were battling to stay in the division themselves took the lead early on through Jason Duddy, before John Kiernan pulled them level five minutes later. Athletic went back in front before the breakthrough, Michael Seoighe heading home. However Achill dug deep and Sean McNamara levelled it up with 24 minutes left on the clock before McGing's late strike sealed the deal for them.

Bangor Hibs who were chasing the same promotion spot kept up their end of the deal with a 7-2 win against Killala, but it was not enough as they missed out on promotion by the slimmest of margins and will have to regroup and come back again next year to try to make the breakthrough. The Premier Division champions Straide and Foxford United wrapped up their league season with an 8-0 hammering of Westport United B at Green Road. At the bottom of the table Partry Athletic were relegated following their loss to Achill Rovers as were Charlestown Athletic who went down 10-4 to Swinford.

Top of the Town

Ballyhaunis Town claimed the league title in the third tier of the league when they topped the League One table on the final day of the season with a 7-0 win over Conn Rangers B at Station Road, Kevin Byrne and Keith Robinson both hitting a hat-trick and Pat McGee grabbing the other goal. That win saw them pip Crossmolina to the title by a single point when all the reckoning was done on the final day of the season. The Deelside men though will be happy that they have put together back to back promotions over the past two seasons as they confirmed their elevation to the Premier Division with a 7-3 win over Castlebar Celtic B.

Westport United have it in their own hands

It will be the last Sunday of the month before the final round of games in the Super League takes place, but Westport United know it is in their own hands as to the destination of the title. They saw off Conn Rangers 4-0 last weekend with goals from Peter Corcoran, Danny Scahill, Philip Keegan, and Adam Mulchrone and a win in their final game against Glenhest Rovers will see them crowned champions once again. Ballyglass's title chances took a big dent last weekend drawing 2-2 with Castlebar Celtic leaving them two points behind United with Ballina Town a point further ahead of them in second place.

At the bottom of the table Ballyheane had the chance to more or less make sure they would be playing Super League football next season, but they lost 5-4 in a epic encounter with Claremorris. That result allowed Iorras Aontiathe to pull level with them on 11 points with one game left for each side. In those games Ballyheane will take on Conn Rangers on the road and Iorras will make the trip to Celtic Park, with everything on the line for both clubs.



Page generated in 0.0616 seconds.