Mayo sides book last thirty two spots in FAI Junior Cup

The Castlebar Celtic team who are taking part  in the Westaro Masters League at Milebush Park Castlebar. Photo: Michael Donnelly

The Castlebar Celtic team who are taking part in the Westaro Masters League at Milebush Park Castlebar. Photo: Michael Donnelly

All three Mayo sides in action in the FAI Junior Cup last weekend recorded victories and advanced to the last 32. Manulla made the long trip to Leeside on Saturday evening and they came away with the spoils thanks a 4-3 penalty shoot-out win over Glen Celtic. Gary Concannon pulled back an equaliser for Tom Healy’s men with a quarter of an hour left on the clock to force extra-time. After a tense and frenetic extra period the dreaded penalty shoot-out was called for. Rory Martyn was denied first but a flawless return from Enda McGahon, Bryan Ralph, Conor Byrne and Connacht Gold Super Cup hero Declan Tonra sealed the win.

Westport Utd were made to work all the way by Dublin side Sandyhill/Shangan FC on Sunday morning at the 3G astroturf facility in Milebush Park, after the torrential rain all weekend meant that the Sports Park in Westport was unplayable. The Covies raced into a 2-0 lead at the break thanks to goals from Martin Geraghty and David Hoban. Dave Cameron put them into cruise control on the resumption, but a backlash from Sandyhill/Shangan FC meant they had to crawl their way over the line.

Castlebar Celtic made it three wins from three for the Mayo sides when they defeated Slieveardagh United 3-0 in Celtic Park on Sunday afternoon. After a tense first half with chances few and far between in soft underfoot conditions it was anybody’s game. The Hoops upped the tempo in the second half and were duly rewarded with Gerard O’Boyle heading home from a Paul Moran cross. It was the tonic that new manager Ciaran Kelly needed and they began to play with a new found swagger. Two goals from Paul Moran in the 68th and 79th minutes sealed their passage into the next round.

The final Mayo side in contention, Claremorris, had to postpone their clash with Moore Utd after Concannon Park was unplayable. It has been rescheduled for December 19.

Earlier this week the draw for the next round of the FAI Junior Cup was made with all three Mayo sides who have already booked their place in the last 32 and Claremorris if they win their rearranged game getting home draws. Castlebar Celtic will host Glengad Utd, Westport United will be at home to St.Peters FC, Manulla will take on Salthill Devon, while if Claremorris get over Moore United their reward will be a home tie against Pearse Celtic. These fixtures have been penciled into take place over the weekend of January 9 and 10.

Rovers go clear in Premier B

Achill Rovers went one point clear of Bangor Hibs on Sunday afternoon to claim top spot for now. With Bangor Hibs and Ballinrobe Town called off it leaves the north Mayo side knowing that a win will make them league champions. Achill Rovers recorded a 4-1 win over Newport Town, with Corey Kilbane giving them the lead in the 24th minute. Michael English and Krystof Jablonski stretched their lead further before Newport Town pulled one back. Jablonski added a fourth in the 64th minute to seal the win.

Snugboro Utd were 4-0 winners over Conn Rangers B on Sunday afternoon with Ezzie Kimpwene giving them a first half lead, after a Norbert Karol knock-down. Karol added a second before Ronnie Staunton made it three midway through the second half, followed by a further strike from Norbert Karol with an assist from Piotr Slabik. The Ballyhaunis Town and Mulranny Utd match did not go ahead as it was conceded by Mulranny Utd.


Page generated in 0.1035 seconds.