Westport push ahead while Conn continue revival

Ballina Town B celebrate after defeating Ballyglass B 1-0 in the Mayo League McDonnell Cup final in Milebush last Saturday evening. Photo: Michael Donnelly.

Ballina Town B celebrate after defeating Ballyglass B 1-0 in the Mayo League McDonnell Cup final in Milebush last Saturday evening. Photo: Michael Donnelly.

As a result of the torrential rain all weekend a number of games were pulled for the safety of the players. However, those that did go ahead threw up some cracking ties amid the shocking conditions. In the Elverys Sports Super League, Castlebar Celtic had gone into an early lead thanks to a Jordan Loftus goal after only 20 seconds, but with the rain getting heavier and the surface water in Celtic Park causing problems, referee Jimmy Cawley called both sets of players aside and abandoned the game after only nine minutes. Westport Utd were pushed all the way by Iorrais Aontaithe on Saturday night in what can only be described as a thriller. And the star of the show most definitely was Phil Keegan who bagged a hat-trick in a stunning display. Deadlocked at 2-2 at the break the Covies found something extra after the break with Keegan grabbing the late winner. Dave Cameron also got in on the act for Westport, with Ivan Barrett (two ) and Kyle O’Reilly on target for Iorrais Aontaithe.

Things have dramatically changed for Conn Rangers in recent weeks, they bagged another win on Sunday thanks to a 3-1 win over Manulla and slowly but surely they are climbing the table. Ger Gaughan fired home on 45 minutes with Jamie Feeney doubling their advantage five minutes later. Lorcan Henry pulled one back for Manulla but Trevor Warde put the seal on the points with a beauty in the 70th minute. Ballyglass have put their recent dip in form behind them thanks to a stunning 6-2 win over struggling Charlestown Athletic. JP O’Gorman fired home four in a lethal display in front of goal, and both Alan Plunkett and Danny Broderick nailed further goals, the latter of which was a smashing free-kick from 25 yards.

Glenhest and Swinford play out classic

Only one game went ahead in Premier A on Saturday night due to the inclement weather as Claremorris and Kiltimagh/Knock was pulled at the eleventh hour. In horrible conditions Killala recorded a facile 5-0 win at home to Moy Villa. Ronan Heffron gave Killala a sixth minute opener before Lee Cummins doubled their advantage by the ninth minute. Keith Higgins had them in cruise control by the half-way stage but there was no sign of a let up from Killala. Mark McDonnell added another in the 53rd minute and Kyle McLoughlin sealed the win with a beauty 10 minutes from time. Castlebar Celtic B recorded a hard fought 4-2 win at home to neighbours Fahy Rovers on Sunday morning. It was delicately poised at the break with Stevie Gavin and Nicky Canning giving the Hoops a 2-1 cushion. Further goals from Jake Gibbons and Adrian Warde were enough to see them home.

Both Glenhest Rovers and Swinford played out a cracking tie with both sides going away with a point following on from the 4-4 draw. League leaders Glenhest Rovers raced into an early two goal league inside the opening 15 minutes. However, a brave Swinford fightback put them in the driving pitch after they grabbed four goals on the spin to give them a two goal cushion at the break. First Paddy O’Donnell scored a screamer from 25 yards and then Trevor McDonnell equalised with a fantastic goal. An unfortunate OG pushed them ahead and a late strike just before half-time from Richard Dalton capped off a stunning first half display. Glenhest regrouped and salvaged a point with Mark Rowland on target along with a Chris Rowland penalty in the 67th minute.

Ballyhaunis and Rovers warm up for Tonra Cup final

There was a pre-Tonra cup final warm up on Saturday night as Ballyhaunis Town welcomed Achill Rovers to Station Rise, and if this league outing is anything to go by it will be a cracker on Sunday in Milebush. It finished 3-3 and amazingly all six goals came in the first half in testing conditions. Ballyhaunis Town raced into a 3-0 lead by the 20th minute, with Jarlath Carney, Andrew Cunnane, and Kevin Byrne on target. Achill got to work and kept plugging away, they snatched a point with Johnny Tiernan, Mark Davitt, and Brandon McGing drawing their side level. With the conditions getting progressively worse and chances few and far between both sides had to a settle for a share of the spoils.

Conn Rangers B recorded a comfortable 4-1 win over Urlaur Utd with a brace from Damien Lackey and efforts from Shane Maughan and Danny Langdon easing them over the line. Bangor Hibs maintained their grip at the top of Premier B with a hard-fought 3-1 win away to Manulla B. Brian McHale was back among the goals again with a double and Ballycroy native Peter Cafferkey scored his first goal of the season. Newport Town recorded a facile 4-0 win over Snugboro Utd at lunchtime on Sunday, but they did not have it all their own way at the break with Dylan Carroll opening the scoring. They were much more composed in the second period and pushed through the gears with Declan McTigue grabbing a brace along with an own goal by Eamon Conway.


Page generated in 0.1177 seconds.