Brilliant Byrne leads Moy Davitts to glory

Mayo GAA MFC Final; Moy Davitts 2-13 Claremorris 1-9

A brilliant performance from Moy Davitts saw them take home the Mayo minor A championship for the first time in the clubs history on Sunday afternoon in MacHale Park.

The moyside outfit were by far the better team, with captain Paul Langan, midfielder Maksyiulun Babianwyk and centre-half forward Conor Byrne the leading lights for them. For Claremorris, Conor Diskin lead their resistance in attack, while Keith Saunders put on an outstanding display between the posts for the south Mayo men, pulling off a number of great saves.

The east Mayo champions got off to a good start with Conor Byrne kicking the first two scores of the half inside the opening seven minutes with Diskin replying for Claremorris with their first score from a free 11 minutes in. Liam Byrne put Moy Davitts two clear again after a great run by Alan Bourke through the heart of the Claremorris defence put him clear on goal, but his effort was deflected up and over the bar by Danny Barry.

Claremorris replied through a Sean Diskin point from play 13 minutes in and Cathal Walsh cut the gap back to a single point after being set up by Rossa Donnellan. Liam Byrne had another great chance to grab the first goal of the game in the 17th minute but he pulled his effort wide. When Moy Davitts third goal chance arrived, Conor Byrne made no mistake. Kevin McDermott played a great ball in to Byrne who sold Daniel Merrick a dummy and he blasted the ball to the back of the net from close range.

That man Diskin replied again for Claremorris not long after, but it was all going Moy Davitts way and they managed to add on three more points before the end with Babianwyk forcing Saunders into one of the great saves seen in the old ground to turn his effort over the bar. Paul Langan drove over after rambling up from defence and Alan Bourke rounded off the scoring before the break to send Moy Davitts in leading by 1-7 to 0-4 at half-time.

The second half finished as the first ended, with Moy Davitts kicking a score, with Conor Byrne bisecting the posts from a free. Claremorris needed a goal to get back into the game and that’s exactly what they got, with a large stroke of luck. Diskin found himself in on goal cutting in from the right, but he pulled his effort wide of mark, but on the balls way out it struck the leg of Michael Guilfoyle and flew into the back of his own net. Diskin kicked another free a short time later to cut the gap back to three points and it looked like it was game on. But Moy Davitts weren’t having any of that and they kept Claremorris at arms length. With seven minutes to go, Moy Davitts were leading by five thanks to scores from Liam Byrne, Conor Byrne (2 ) and Sean Mulroy, while Claremorris were relying on Diskin to keep them in the game. The game as a contest was wound up five minutes before the end when Kevin McDermott got in to score his sides second goal and with that the celebrations on the banks of the Moy could get started.


Moy Davitts: C Byrne (1-6, 2f ), K McDermott (1-1 ), L Byrne (0-2 ), S Mulroy (0-1 ), M Babianwyk (0-1 ), P Langan (0-1 )

Claremorris: S Diskin (0-6, 4f ), N Joyce (0-2 ), C Walsh (0-1 ), M Guilfoyle (1-0,OG )

Moy Davitts: J McGowan; M Bell, K Moran, M Murphy; S Mulroy, P Langan, N Murphy; B Reape, M Babianwky; M Guilfoyle, C Byrne, A Bourke; R Binley, L Byrne, K McDermott. Subs: N Regan for R Binley, D Kelly for K McDermott, J Gilmore for M Guilfoyle

Claremorris: K Saunders; D Barry, D Merrick, D O’Brien; J Varley, S Brennan, J McCormack; C Gill, F McCormack; C Walsh, R Donnellan, S Butler; N Joyce, D Takkos, S Diskin. Subs: S Conroy for J Varley, D Regan for C Walsh

Ref: J Henry (Castlebar )


Page generated in 0.0877 seconds.