Mayo fire officer issues carbon monoxide warning

Mayo's chief fire officer has issued a warning to householders to protect themselves from the potentially devastating effects of carbon monoxide in their homes.

Seamus Murphy issued the warning ahead of National Carbon Monoxide Awareness Week, which starts on Monday.

He said the main aim of the week is to raise awareness about the causes, symptoms, prevention, and protection measures for the highly poisonous gas, which can kill in minutes.

“CO is one of the leading causes of poisoning deaths throughout the world,” said Mr Murphy.

He explained how CO poisoning can occur.

“The potentially deadly gas can build up to dangerous concentrations indoors when fuel-burning devices are not properly vented, operated, or maintained.

“Because it has no odour, colour, or taste, CO cannot be detected by our senses.”

Mr Murphy urged people to familiarise themselves with the symptoms of CO poisoning.

“Symptoms associated with exposure to CO include a mild headache, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, fatigue, and drowsiness,” he outlined.

Fortunately, simple measures can be taken to prevent CO problems, added Mr Murphy.

"One such action is the installation of a CO alarm to detect potentially deadly conditions. Householders should also make sure that all fuel burning appliances and heating devices are properly vented and maintained, while knowing the symptoms of CO poisoning is important."

For further information and advice visit www.carbonmonoxide.ie

Advertisement

 

Page generated in 0.1454 seconds.