Mayo manager James Horan held what was described as a “positive” meeting with members of the executive of the Mayo county board on Tuesday night, according to Mike Connelly, vice-chairman of the Mayo county board. Speaking to the Mayo Advertiser, Connelly said: “There’s not a lot really to report from it, it was a very positive meeting with James and we’ll be meeting with him again next week.”
Horan has given a commitment to stay on for next year according to Connelly when asked had he said, “yes”. But there are a few changes in the back-room team coming up for next year according to the official who said: “He’ll probably be making a few changes, but he hasn’t finalised that yet, we’d a good meeting and we looked back on last year and forward to 2014 and what we can do, we also spent time discussing the team holiday which all the lads are entitled to have earned this year.”
Mayo to open league campaign against Kerry
The provisional list of fixtures for next year’s national football league emerged this week; there could be a few changes to the list when it is finalised. But next year sees Mayo open up against Kildare away on Sunday February 2, then hit the road again the following Sunday to take on Tyrone in Omagh, before having their first home game on Sunday March 2 against Kerry. That is followed by a trip to Westmeath the next Sunday, with Cork coming to Castlebar on Sunday March 16. Mayo’s only Saturday night game to be pencilled in so far is a re-match against Dublin on Saturday March 29 before they wrap up at home to Derry on Sunday April 6.
Provincial underage draw completed
Mayo minor manager Enda Gilvarry and his new crop of minors will open their defence of the All Ireland title with a semi-final away to the winners of Sligo and Galway following this weekend’s Connacht championship draws for the under-age competition. Niall Heffernan, who has taken over the u21s this year, will open the championship against Roscommon in the preliminary round of the competition, with Sligo waiting in the semi-final.