Man threatened to pull knife on gardaí

A man was given a six month jail sentence at Castlebar District Court this week for the production of a knife, for recklessly engaging in conduct which created a substantial risk of death or serious harm, and also for thefts from two Castlebar businesses.

On January 8 2013 at 1.50am gardaí were called to a disturbance at Rush Street, Castlebar. In an apartment above a pub, Jason Conroy, 7 McGoldrick’s Apartments, Rush Street, Castlebar, was observed to roar and shout abuse at gardaí and members of the public. Conroy threw furniture, a radiator, and plaque from the apartment.

The plaque hit a Garda car parked below and caused damage. However this criminal damage charge to the Garda car was withdrawn in court as there was no evidence of the amount of damage caused, just an estimate given by a garda. After the items were thrown below Conroy, who was still upstairs in the apartment, got a knife and threatened to stab any garda who approached him. Assistance was sought and members of the armed response unit arrived at the scene at 3am. Conroy was located in a neighbouring apartment and was forcibly overpowered.

Conroy was also before court to be sentenced in relation to two thefts from Castlebar businesses which took place in October 2012. These facts were heard at a previous court sitting. It was outlined that Conroy entered Ketterick’s Butchers, Market Square, Castlebar, on October 10 2012 through breaking the door. The defendant removed €50 of coins from the till and left the premises. Between 6pm and 2am (October 13/14 ) Conroy entered George O’Malley’s veterinary surgery, Mountain View, Castlebar. He kicked in the front door and took €960.32 worth of veterinary products. The defendant’s apartment was searched on October 17 and the majority of these veterinary products were recovered.

Tom Walsh, solicitor for the defendant, said that Conroy came to Mayo from Meath in order to attend a treatment facility in Knock as he has chronic alcohol and drug addictions. However the defendant a short time ago stopped taking his anti-depressant medication and stopped going to AA. Mr Walsh said that the defendant has no recall of the events on Rush Street. The 34-year-old man is currently in Castlerea Prison at the moment and the court heard that he is in a single cell in the medical unit where he is being treated for psychosis.

For the theft on October 12 Judge Mary Devins convicted and sentenced him to three months in prison from January 8 2013 (when he was first remanded in custody ). For the theft from the veterinary surgery he was convicted and sentenced to three months in prison concurrent. For the section 13 charge—that of intentionally or recklessly engaging in conduct which creates a substantial risk of death or serious harm to another—he was convicted and sentenced to three months in prison consecutive. For the section 11 Firearms charge—the production of an article capable of inflicting serious injury—he was convicted and sentenced to three months in prison concurrent. The section six public order charge was taken into consideration.



Page generated in 0.1575 seconds.