Ballina man gets eight months for shocking incidents

Judge Conal Gibbons sentenced a Ballina man to a total of eight months in prison after convicting him of a number of offences. Derek Humber, 31 Trawley Terrace, Ballina, had appeared before Judge Gibbons the previous week where evidence was given in relation to two incidents which occurred earlier this year, one at Mayo General Hospital on February 20, and another at his home in Ballina on February 6 where he had to be arrested by gardaí for being threatening and abusive, and for being intoxicated in a public place and in possession of a broken bottle. He also faced a charge of failing to appear in court while on bail in Ballina on March 8, Humber pleaded guilty to all charges.

Judge Gibbons held over his decision until this week. While he did recognise that Humber had serious alcohol issues, he rejected a plea from Humber’s solicitor Denis Molloy not to impose a custodial sentence and allow his client to enter into a rehabilitation programme in Cuan Mhuire at which there would be a place for him next week. Judge Gibbons told the court: “It is difficult for your client as he is in the throes of addiction. But as far as I’m concerned especially for his behaviour in Mayo General Hospital means a loss of liberty. It’s shocking and alarming that in a place where people are in pain and distress already they had to put up with his behaviour. People have to be protected. It’s a black and white issue.”

For possession of a weapon on February 6 2011 when he was arrested at his home Judge Gibbons convicted and sentenced Humber to three months in prison. Judge Gibbons also convicted and sentenced Humber to two months in prison consecutive for threatening and abusive behaviour at Mayo General Hospital on February 20 2011, and for failing to appear in at Ballina District Court on March 8 2011 he convicted and sentenced Humber to three months in prison consecutive. Judge Gibbons took all other charges into consideration.

Judge Gibbons fixed recognisance in leave of an appeal of an own bond of €200 and independent surety of €300 to be approved by the court. Judge Gibbons approved an independent surety of €300 put up by Humber’s sister Sabrina before the end of the court’s business.


Page generated in 0.1429 seconds.