There had been two nominations made by clubs to fill the role of Mayo senior football manager at the time that this paper went to print on Thursday evening.
“We’ve had two nominations in from clubs so far, but the process is still open to clubs to make nominations untill tomorrow evening and I expect that we will get more in on Friday that’s the way it usually works,” Mayo county board secretary Séan Feeney told the Mayo Advertiser yesterday. As to the identity of the two men who have been nominated for the job and who nominated them, Feeney said he was unable to say who they were or which clubs made the nominations. “We’ve got two nominees in as I said, but we have to cross check with those who were nominated that they are interested in the job. The nominations said that there would be a letter following from the nominee to say they wanted to be considered. We have to receive those yet.” Feeney went on to say that he didn’t expect any major movement on the situation until the end of next week at the earliest.
Maughan rules himself out
A number of names have been flying around as to who will be the man to take over the manager’s job for next year, including Noel Connelly, Peter Ford, Denis Carney, Mick O’Dwyer, and two time former Mayo manager and Mayo Advertiser columnist John Maughan. Maughan told the Mayo Advertiser this week that he had been approached by a number of clubs but told them that he didn’t want to be put forward for the position.