Ballyheane stay top in Super League

Soccer: Mayo League

Champions: Ballinrobe Town were crowned League One champions last weekend. Photo: Mayo League

Champions: Ballinrobe Town were crowned League One champions last weekend. Photo: Mayo League

With three games left in the Super League season Ballyheane have kept their five point lead at the top of the table.

The Quigley Park outfit were pushed hard by a bottom of the table Ballyhaunis Town side at home last weekend, before seeing off the Station Rise side 2-1, thanks to goals from Cillian Redmond and Ben Edeh in the first half. Ballyhaunis Town pulled back late on through Gary Higgins and they went hard to try and pull out a leveller, but the champions were able to hold on to claim the points.

Westport United held on to second place in the standings following a ten-goal thriller in Concannon Park, seeing off Claremorris 6-4. United were 4-1 down with an hour gone in the game, but over the closing 30 minutes they outscored their hosts 5-0 to run out winners.

The hosts were 2-0 up inside the opening ten minutes with Noel Mellett getting things going with a header four minutes in and five minutes later Simon Butler grabbed their second of the day. United pulled one back before the break thanks to a Harrison Quinn goal.

Claremorris made it 3-1 not long after the restart when he finished from close range and not long before the hour mark he completed his hat-trick after he rounded Gary Cunningham before stroking the ball home following a flick on by Cathal Walsh.

With their chances of keeping the title race alive looking to be slipping away, United dug in and pulled off a sensational win over the last half hour. Adam Nugent made it 4-2, then Darren Browne headed home to leave just one between the sides with 20 minutes to go and not long after Patrick Moran made the contest all square.

The next goal was going to be vital and it went to United through Nugent and he wrapped up the scoring and completed his hat-trick in injury time to send the points back home to United Park. The defeat also leaves Claremorris still in the relegation zone with games running out.

Ballina Town stayed in touch with the top two in the division thanks to a 1-0 win over Glenhest Rovers on the road last weekend. Steven Melvin got the vital goal for Mark Beattie's side late on.

Kiltimagh-Knock United cemented their position in fourth place in the standings with a 3-1 win over Straide and Foxford United at home last weekend. Jack O'Connor got two first half goals and Jack Mullarkey got the third of the day for James Costello's side, with Sean Ruane getting a consolation goal for the Green Road outfit.

The final game last weekend saw the spoils shared when Manulla and Castlebar Celtic played out a 2-2 draw in Carramore. Aiden Dunleavey put the hosts in front in the first half and he made it 2-0 not long after the restart. But two goals on the spin from Jordan Loftus saw Celtic take home a point from their short trip out the road.

This weekend's action will see the league leaders make the trip to Green Road to take on Straide and Foxford United on Saturday evening. The hosts have won three of their last five games to pull themselves out of relegation trouble and any positive result this weekend should ensure they have their status in the top flight for next season.

For Ballyheane, a win here and results going their way elsewhere, could see them have the title wrapped up by the end of the weekend. On Sunday morning Claremorris will be looking to pick up a much-needed win when they welcome Manulla to Concannon Park. Claremorris are three points off safety at the moment and need to get a win badly.

Westport United will welcome Kiltimagh-Knock United to United Park on Sunday afternoon and will need to pick up another win to keep the title race going, but it's not going to be easy against an east Mayo outfit who have won eight games already this season and will be looking to take another scalp in this one.

The final game of the weekend sees Ballyhaunis Town host Glenhest Rovers in Station Rise, the host are rock bottom of the table and four points off safety at the minute. They'll need to pick up three points this weekend if they are to get any chance of holding on to their Super League status for next season.

In the Premier Division Conn Rangers kept their noses in front after a 4-0 win over Westport United B, Crossmolina are just a point behind them after getting a 4-0 win themselves away to Ballyglass. Moy Villa put ten goals past Swinford on the road to keep themselves in third place in the standings while Fahy Rovers were 5-1 winners over Kiltimagh-Knock United B.

Ballinrobe were crowned League One champions after a 3-0 win on the road against Westport United C. Shane Ryan put them in front two minutes in. Jonathon Lawrence grabbed their second goal early in the second half with Conor Ryan rounding things off and sealing the title for the south Mayo men.

Super League Fixtures: Saturday, August 20: Straide and Foxford United v Ballyheane at 6.30pm; Sunday, August 21; Claremorris v Manulla at 11am, Westport Untied v Kiltimagh-Knock United, Ballyhaunis Town v Glenhest Rovers at 2.30pm.


Page generated in 0.0619 seconds.