Roscommon rip into Mayo early doors to set up victory

Up in the air: Mayo lost out to Roscommon on Friday night in the Connacht Minor Football Championship final. Photo: Mayo GAA

Up in the air: Mayo lost out to Roscommon on Friday night in the Connacht Minor Football Championship final. Photo: Mayo GAA

Goals win games the saying goes and that was certainly true in Hyde Park on Friday night, when four first half goals for Roscommon proved to be to much of a mountain for Mayo to climb in the Connacht Minor Football Championship.

The second championship underage defeat to Roscommon in the matter of three days is something that will have Mayo left with plenty to ponder over the Winter months.

You’re not going to win a game conceding four goals inside the opening half an hour, even at this grade where crazy things happen from time to time on the field. Mayo did make a good fist of getting themselves back into this game in the second half and when they were still six points down late on, if they had got in for a goal - there was every possibility they could have salvaged something from it.

But Roscommon were resolute in defence in the closing 20 minutes, shutting up shop and closing down every avenue Mayo attempted to probe and pick at.

Roscommon led 1-3 to 0-5 at the first water break, with their goal coming from the penalty spot from Ryan Conlon in the 13th minute, it had taken two minutes from the awarding of the penalty to the kick actually taking pace because Mayo goalkeeper Tiernan Burke had to go and get a gum shield after the referee noticed he didn’t have one in.

Mayo had started the game well with Fiachra Cruise and Conal Dawson kicking good scores, but a run a scores late on from Roscommon including the Conlon ’s penalty and the impressive Bobby Nugent had the Rossies in front.

In the second quarter it all went wrong for Mayo with Roscommon hitting them for three goals in ten minutes. Shane McGinley and Colm Neary netted inside of two minutes and they followed that up with points from Nugent and Neary and Roscommon were humming as they led 3-5 to 0-5.

Mayo did manage to get reel off 1-1 on the bounce through a Pierce Deane free and a goal from Crusie who saw his initial penalty effort saved before he slotted home the rebound. But seconds later the killer goal arrived when Roscommon went straight back down the field and Robert Heneghan netted.

Mayo did get two points back before the half time whistle through, a brace of Ronan Clarke frees - but I was going to be to big of a hill for them to climb in the second half.

Roscommon hunkered down at the back and while Mayo did get in for a second goal of their own through Ben McHale - but it wasn’t to be for them as Roscommon dug in an saw their way into the Connacht semi-final.

Mayo: T. Burke, L. Silke, J. Walsh, B. Cllins, C. Corless (0-1 ), J. Ferguson, C. Dawson (0-2 ), S. Morahan, D. Duffy, S. Neary, F. Cruise (1-1 ), T. O’Flaherty, J. Maheady, R. Clarke (0-5f ), P. Deane (0-2, 1f ). Subs: A. Browne (0-1 ), B. McHale (1-0 ), C. Mulroy, A. Beirne, S. Sweeney.

Roscommon: S. Kelly, D. Casey, C. Harley, J. Brady, J. McGreal (0-1 ), E. O’Reilly, S. Lambe, S. Walsh (0-2 ), D.J. Hession (0-3 ), R. Hester, R. Conlon (1-0 pen ), B. Nugent (0-4, 2f ), R. Heneghan (1-1, 1f ), S. McGinley (1-1 ), C. Neary (1-1 ). Subs: O. O’Flaherty, P. Higgins, R. Carthy, A. Durr, A. McGreal.


Page generated in 0.0491 seconds.