Soccer season kicks off with a bang

Soccer: Mayo Super Cup

After months of a holding pattern, action on the soccer fields across Mayo got back up and running last weekend with the first round of the Calor Gas Super Cup and Premier Cup.

The big early marker was laid down by Westport United who put eight goals past Ballyglass in United Park as they warmed up for this weekend's FAI Junior Cup quarter-final clash with Oliver Bond Celtic in the same venue. United's eight goals came from a brace from both Peter Corcoran and Darren Browne, with the four other goals coming from Jesper Frisch, James McGrath, Mikey O'Brien and Caoimhin O'Toole.

The Super League champions Castlebar Celtic were dumped out of the competition by the defending Super Cup champions Ballina Town, with the north Mayo men running out 2-1 winners in Celtic Park.

Ballina's Brendan Lavelle put his side in front early on, after he was picked out by Duane Helly - but Celtic pulled themselves level before the break with Jason Hunt finding the net for the Hoops'. Just over ten minutes into the second half Jamie Cawley pounced for this visitor's second and most vital goal - Celtic pushed hard and forced Kieran O'Malley into a number of saves before the end. However they were not able to force the game into extra-time.

Ashley Stevenson's Ballyheane side had to come from a goal and man down to see off Straide and Foxford United in Green Road last weekend to book their place in the next round. Goals from Jack Tuffy and Moo Paw were enough to see the Quigley Park outfit into the next round.

The last time that Snugboro United and Ballyhaunis Town met, it was about survival in the Super League with the Station Rise men winning that battle. The Conway Park men got some sort of revenge for that defeat last weekend with a 4-0 win over the east Mayo side - with Jason Ormsby and Eoin Morris grabbing a brace each during the 90 minutes to get Snugboro United's season off to a winning start.

Newly promoted Swinford were on the end of a 4-2 defeat to Claremorris in Concannon Park last Sunday morning, with the south Mayo men booking their place in the next round thanks to a Rokus Mikuckis hat-trick and single goal from Noel Mellet before half time. Swinford did pull two back in the second half with Joe Slevin and Ritchie Dalton both finding the net but it was too little too late against the hosts.

There was better luck for the other side promoted to the top flight last season with Glenhest Rovers taking a memorable scalp, seeing off Manualla 1-0. Rovers are back playing on their home patch in Beltra this year after a year away and Cathal Chamber's goal was enough to book their place in the next round of the competition.

The draw for the second round of the competition was made earlier this week and both Ballina Town and Ballyheane have been given byes, with Glenhest Rovers paired off against Claremorris and Snugboro United welcoming Westport United over the August bank holiday weekend.

In the Premier Cup last weekend Castlebar Celtic B had a 3-1 win over Crossmolina with Stephen Jennings hitting two goals and Declan Lavelle adding the third. Killala needed penalties to see off Con Rangers B after the game finished level at 2-2 - with Danny Gallagher saving three penalties in the shoot-out to see his side progress 3-1 from the penalty spot. Claremorris B put half a dozen past Ballyvary Blue Bombers on the road - the hosts led 2-1 early on but the visitors hit five unanswered goals to book their safe passage to the next round.

Late goals from Conor Flynn and Sean Holmes saw Conn Rangers home on a score of 5-2 in Mount Falcon against Kiltimagh-Knock United B. Rangers had led 3-0 early thanks to goals from Evan Reape, Mikey Bourke and Liam Durkan, before the east Mayo men pulled two goals back through Andrew McDonald and Thomas Gillespie.

Moy Villa hit ten against fellow north Mayo men Crossmolina B with John Durkan getting four goals, with Ciaran Gaughan getting three and Andrew Ruane two and Kevin Langdon one, in their big win in Attymass.

Kiltimagh-Knock United were 2-0 winners at home against Iorras Aointaithe thanks to goals from Darragh Hanlon and Iarla Carty, while Partry Athletic were 1-0 winners over Kilmore - thanks to a Ciaran Hennelly goal from the spot.

In a west coast derby Westport United B saw off Achill Rovers by the odd goal in seven; Niall Quinn and PJ Calvey put United 2-0 up early on, but the game was level at the break thanks to an own goal and a Brandon McGing effort. PJ Calvey and Cory Kilbane traded goals before Conor Calvey struck his sides fourth and vital goal.

The draw for round two was given byes - to Ballina Town B, Castlebar Celtic B, Killala, Kiltimagh-Knock United and Moy Villa, while it has pitted Westport United B against Claremorris B, Conn Rangers and Manulla B, while Fahy Rovers will entertain Partry Athletic.


Page generated in 0.0758 seconds.