Up to ten buildings in Ballina could benefit from historic town funding scheme

Pearse Street Ballina. Photo: Google Maps

Pearse Street Ballina. Photo: Google Maps

It is hoped that up to 10 buildings in the heart of Ballina on Pearse Street could by brought back to life if the owners take up the opportunity to have them included in the Historic Towns Initiative.

Funding of €140,000 has been allocated by the government to Ballina under this scheme, following in the footsteps of Westport and Ballinrobe, both previous recipients of funding under the scheme.

Siobhan Sexton, executive architect for Mayo County County Council, outlined how the scheme works to the March meeting of the Ballina Municipal District this week. The funding will cover the repair of doors, shop fronts, slate, iron gutters and windows and other items that will have a conservation impact on the facade of historic buildings in the town, with the €140,000 allocated under the scheme funding 80 per cent of the cost of the works - with the other 20 per cent to be funded by the building owners.

Sexton told the meeting that the council had identified a number of buildings to be targeted by the scheme in the town - including the library and a number of privately owned buildings - and that a newspaper advert would be published next week seeking applicants for the scheme.

There was a warm welcome from elected members for the scheme, with Cllr Gerry Ginty saying it was a welcome move and he hoped to see it taken up by people.

Advertisement

 

Page generated in 0.1249 seconds.