Belmullet end 44 year wait to claim intermediate title

Mayo IFC Final; Belmullet 2-10 Burrishoole 0-9

Photo: Mayo GAA

Photo: Mayo GAA

The signal to get the bonfires lit Belmullet was sent north well before the half-time whistle was blown in MacHale Park on Saturday night as the north Mayo men strolled to their first Mayo intermediate title since 1974 in style.

The led by 2-6 to 0-1 at the break after a devastating display of football, where they never let their opponents get going at all and dominated the play from whistle to whistle. With Johnny Donoghue grabbing both of their first half majors.

The north Mayo men went into an early two point lead with Ryan O’Donoghue just scraping an effort inside the near post from out on the right five minutes in. Their lead was doubled by a pointed free from Johnny Donoghue two minutes later.

Burrishoole got the scoreboard moving in their direction 12 minutes in when Jason Doherty nudged a free over the bar. Belmullet responded quickly with Donoghue pointing from a tight angle out on the left and 30 seconds later he had the ball in the back of the net.

The Burrishoole kick-out was messed up and Martin Barrett fed the ball to Ciaran Conway who moved it on to Donoghue who made no mistake from close range.

Belmullet pushed further in front a minute later when Ryan O’Donoghue landed his second point of the day to put the north Mayo men into a commanding 1-4 to 0-1 lead with a quarter of the game gone.

Over the next few minutes Burrishoole had plenty of possession but failed to turn in into meaningful chances and with five minutes to go before the break Garry Barrett hit a long range point and once again the north Mayo men won the ball back on their oppositions kick out and the ball was worked to Donoghue who rounded Paraic Holmes before finishing the ball to the net to have his side ten points clear. Cathal Barrett stretched the lead out even more before the break with a well taken effort

Ryane O’Donoghe kicked two early points in the second half with Colin Guilfoyle responding for the McGovern Park men in between those two scores, but it was a long way back for Burrishoole and Belmullet were in no mood to even give them a glimmer of hope.

Michael Keane kicked a free from tight out on the left to make it 2-9 to 0-2 with 25 minutes left on the clock.

Aaron McDermott kicked a fine point for Burrishoole, before James Kelly cut right through the heart of their defence and made it 2-10 to 0-3.

Burrishoole kept plugging away and they reeled off the next four points on the bounce through Pat Mulchrone, Fintan McManamon, Michael Moran and Jason Doherty to leave the score at 2-10 to 0-7 with 10 minutes to go.

Ciaran McManamon cut the gap back a little more with a well take score with five minutes of normal time left - but time was always against them and Belmullet eased themselves home to win by seven at the end.


Belmullet: J Donoghue (2-2, 1f ), R O’Donoghe (0-4 ), Garry Barrett (0-1 ), Cathal Barrett (0-1 ), M Keane (0-1, 1f ), J Kelly (0-1 )

Burrishoole: J Doherty (0-2, 2f ), C Guilfoyle (0-2 ), A McDermott (0-1 ), P Mulchrone (0-1 ), F McManamon (0-1 ), M Moran (0-1 ), C McManamon (0-1 )

Belmullett: S Kilker; E O’Donoghue, Chris Barrett, C O’Connor; Ciaran Barrett, Martin Boylan, Colin Barrett; Cathal Barrett, S Nallen; J Kelly, Garry Barrett, C Conway, S Donoghue, M Keane, R O’Donoghue. Subs: E McAndrew, E Healy, P Ruddy, Shane Barrett

Burrishoole: P Holmes; D Nevin, J Sammon, D Drumm; L O’Malley, P Mulchrone, A McDermott; P McManamon, A McManamon; P Cannon, A Ryder, J Doherty; C Guilfoyle, D Heanley, F McManmon. Subs: C McManamon, M Moran, C Burke, M O’Malley

Ref: P Lydon (Kitlimagh )


Page generated in 0.0667 seconds.