Galwegians' late revival continues

Galwegians' revival continued on Saturday when they produced their third win in a row with a superb second-half fightback against Queens in Belfast.

Down 21-3 at half-time, the Blues took control to win an absorbing Ulster Bank League division 2A contest by 32-28, which has given them a real lifeline from relegation heading into the last four remaining rounds.

Queens had all the first half momentum after opening with an Alaistar Burke try which Ritchie McMaster converted, and minutes later another forward Gary Dillon crossed after Wegian hooker John Molony was yellow-carded.

There was some respite when outhalf Morgan Codyre kicked a penalty for Wegians, but it was short-lived. Burke again did the damage with a clean break to score, with McMaster again adding the extras for a 21-3 lead.

Wegians, however, turned around at the break with determination, and started the fightback within five minutes. Substitute Rory Dempsey showed a great turn of speed to score from the 10 metre line, and Codyre converted to reduce the margin to 21-10.

They maintained the momentum with a second when flanker Callum Torpey touched down after sustained pressure on the Queens' line. Codyre again converted to reduce the gap just four points.

However, Queens put themselves firmly back in the box seat on 55 minutes when speedster Jonny Wesley sliced through the cover to bag his side’s fourth and bonus try, which McMaster again converted to restore an 11-point gap.

Not to be outdone, Wegians showed great resilience to once again haul themselves back into contention. From a block down of a Queens' clearance, John Molony followed up and touched down for Wegians’ third try, and just after the hour mark, Wegians completed a remarkable comeback when centre Brian Murphy burst through to score a fourth try. Codyre converted to put Galwegians in front for the first time in the game. A Codyre penalty heading into stoppage time gave Wegians a four-point cushion but they had to repel a late Queens' attack after Murphy was red-carded for a late tackle near halfway. Heroic last-ditch defence and a crucial intercept by Rory Dempsey helped Wegians to survive.

Galwegians: C Brennan, J Cleary, B Murphy, D Clarke, D Faulkner, M Codyre, R Gaffney, C Kyne, J Molony, M Fox, M Fox, A Ryan, M Cummins, C Torpey, P Hackett, M Towey. Subs, P Curran, J Winters, M O'Donnell, D Carr, R Dempsey.


Page generated in 0.0742 seconds.