Corofin get the job done to advance to All-Ireland final

The Corofin senior football squad did what was required on Saturday in Tullamore when they advanced to the club's third All-Ireland decider in their history.

In a hard-won 1-06 to 0-6 victory over Leinster champions Moorefield (Kildare ), Corofin will now return to Croke Park on St Patrick's Day where they will face either Cork’s Nemo Rangers or Derry’s Slaughtneil who play their semi-final, which is live on TG4, on Saturday.

Corofin's semi-final was a low scoring affair, with the teams 0-2 at half. The main talking point from the first half was an erroneous red card issued to Corofin full-forward Martin Farragher in the second minute of the game by Tipperary referee Derek O'Mahony for an innocuous challenge on the Moorefield fullback.

Corofin now hope the talented forward can have that card overturned over the next few weeks to make him available to play a part in the final in three weeks' time.

Anything but such a positive decision would be unfair and a poor reflection of the GAA's judicial process.

Team manager O' Brien was understandably disappointed to see Farragher given his marching orders.

“It looked extremely harsh from where I was standing," he says. "I feel sorry for Martin. We talk about discipline so much and for the decision to be made out of his control like that, I don’t think it was right.

“Having watched it again on TV, it was very harsh. I don’t think Martin’s knee went to make any contact with the player."

Liam Silke's goal decisive

The major score of the game came in the 59th minute when Dylan Wall fed Ian Burke with a lovely pass, and Burke slipped a gorgeous lay off to the overlapping Liam Silke who finished to the net to seal the win.

It was a lovely move and a score worthy of winning an All-Ireland semi-final.

Corofin had produced a marvellous start to the second half when they rattled off three points inside five minutes courtesy of Gary Sice, Ian Burke and Ronan Steede.

Moorefield responded in the final quarter with three points, and then Sice and Eanna O’Connor hit a free each to level the tie.

Corofin had a chance to restore their lead when a free from Gary Sice dropped short.

Extra-time looked a distinct prospect before Galway player Silke pounced for that late crucial intervention for the Corofin men to give them victory.

Others who impressed for Corofin were defenders Kieran Molloy, Cathal Silke and the imperious Kieran Fitzgerald at full-back.

Corofin have won both previous appearances in the All-Ireland club final, and the panel's target will be to maintain that 100 per cent record on Saturday March 17.

Scorers for Corofin: Liam Silke 1-0, Gary Sice 0-3 (0-3f ), Ronan Steede, Jason Leonard, Ian Burke 0-1 each.

Corofin team: B Power, C Silke, K Fitzgerald, L Silke, K Molloy, Dylan Wall, Michael Farragher, D Burke, R Steede, M Lundy, G Sice, J Leonard, C Brady, Martin Farragher, I Burke. Subs used: B O’Donovan for Brady (52 ), C Cunningham for Michael Farragher (62 ), D McHugh for Wall (61 ), D Silke for Leonard (62 ).


Page generated in 0.2110 seconds.