Galwegians win

Galwegians will hope they have turned the corner after grabbing a second win on the trot in the Ulster Bank League division 2A when edging high-flyers Nenagh Ormond at Crowley Park by 16-14.

The visitors, who put 50 points on Wegians in November, opened up an 11-6 lead with two penalties from prolific fullback Clayton Stewart, and a try from winger Nicky Irwin. Galwegians kept in touch through outhalf Morgan Codyre, with the pack boosted by the return from injury of captain Anthony Ryan following a lengthy lay-off. They used to their dominant scrum to their advance, and although the Blues had to sustain more intense pressure, disciplined defence keep their line intact before the half-time break.

After Wegians veteran John Cleary and Nenagh’s captain John Healy were both yellow-carded for an off-the-ball scuffle following the resumption, both sides exchanged penalties. The home side did have an opportunity to reduce the deficit but Codyre's long-range penalty was off target.

The visitors, however, looked the more confident, particularly after ex-Wegian Conor Muldoon was sprung from the bench, but Wegians never gave up and earned their just reward at the death. A clever chip over the cover from Hugh Lane forced the visitors into conceding a 5m scrum deep into stoppage time, and following three scrum resets, Galwegians patiently attacked through their pack, sucking in players before Paul Hackett crashed over near the posts for the all-important try to level the game. Codyre kept his nerve to add the conversion for a win, which moves Wegians off the bottom spot.

Next up is a vital away trip to Belfast on Saturday when they will face a struggling Queens University.

Galwegians XV: Hugh Lane, Bryan Dixon, John Cleary, Paul Hackett, Daniel Faulkner, Morgan Codyre, Rory Gaffney, Pa Curran, John Moloney, Jason East, Eoin Tarmey, Marty Cummin, Callum Torpey, Matt Towey, Anthony Ryan (c ). Subs: Martin Fox, Pa Curran, Justin Coen, Michael O’Donnell, Eamon Dowling.


Page generated in 0.1532 seconds.