Galway WFC aim for Shield final

Galway WFC turn their attention to Shield action this weekend when they travel to take on Kilkenny United in United Park, Thomastown, on Saturday.

Now in the semi-final, the Galway women are aiming to secure a place in a national final for the first time.

Last weekend UCD Waves inflicted a 3-0 defeat on Galway in the Continental Tyres WNL Cup, avenging their previous week's loss in the league.

But at a sun-drenched Drom, Billy Clery's side was unable to put back-to-back wins together over their visitors.

Galway started the stronger and with just five minutes on the clock Lisa Casserly’s cross found Tessa Mulins at the back post , but she was unlucky to head just wide. Galway looked well organised once again in defence and were able to limit UCD‘s chances on goal, but in the 35th minute Irish international Karen Duggan popped up in the box and, after controlling the ball in the air, hit a shot which lobbed Tina Hughes in the Galway goal.

With three minutes of the half remaining, Duggan should have scored a second, but she also had to watch her header sail wide.

Galway started strongly in the second half and were were unlucky not to win a penalty when Rebekah Carroll handled in the box after 59 minutes, but referee Joe Hession waved play on. The turning point instead came four minutes later in the 63rd minute after Billy Clery made a double substitution with Shaunagh Jackson coming on as an extra player up front. And, in the next play Jackson got on the end of a Sadhbh Doyle cross, only to see her effort come back off the underside of the bar. It then fell to Lynsey McKey five yards out whose mishit shot landed in the arms of Erika Turner, who took advantage as UCD went down the other end before doubling their lead through a Julie Ann Russell strike.

Three minutes later Galway had another penalty claim turned down after Méabh De Búrca played in Doyle who was bundled over by Jetta Berrill, only for a goal kick to be awarded. Galway continued to press, but in the end just could not score, and in the 89th minute, they were caught on the counterattack with Dearbhaille Beirne wrapping things up with a powerful strike.


Page generated in 0.0751 seconds.