St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union provides simple tips to help in the search for the dream car.
•Starting out, ask the following questions: What is your budget? How much will it cost to run this car, in terms of tax, insurance and fuel consumption? How much will this car depreciate?
• Never buy a car without seeing it first or having it checked over by a professional.
• Ask to see the log book, and if a name is on it, ask for ID to verify the seller.
• Dealers prices may often be higher than private owners, but there are certain advantages when buying from a dealer, eg, vehicle recently serviced, extended warranty, additional extras.
• Online auctions such as those found on eBay are becoming more popular. Auctions carry a far greater risk as buyers do not get to see the car on which they are bidding.
• Remember that salesmen work on a commission basis so they are going to be looking for a high asking price for the car they sell. Aways haggle.
• Do not examine a vehicle at night time or during wet weather. You will not be able to spot scrapes and scratches that would otherwise be visible during dry conditions.
• Be brave and look under the bonnet.
• Never give out your account details if unsure. If you do and have reservation, contact the bank immediately.
St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union says it can offer a competitive car loan rate at 6.5% (6.7% APR ). To avail of a special car loan, you need to become a member of St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union.
Visit St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union online at www.sacu.ie, or talk to a member of staff in any of the Galway branches - Mainguard St, Westside Shopping Centre or Oughterard. To speak to a St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union loans officer, freephone 1800 28 5626 (1800 CU LOAN ).