The dream motor maybe closer than you think, but there are a number of handy tips car buyers can learn to ensure the experience is less daunting.
St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union has compliled a list of some simple tips to help in the search.
• Starting out you should ask yourself the following questions: What is your budget? How much will it cost you to run this car, in terms of tax, insurance and fuel consumption? How much will this car depreciate?
• Never buy a car without seeing it first or having it checked over by a professional.
• Ask to see the log book and if a name is on it ask for ID to verify the seller.
• Dealers prices may often be higher than private owners, but there are certain advantages when buying from a dealer, eg, vehicle recently serviced, extended warranty, additional extras.
• Online auctions such as those found on eBay are becoming more popular. Auctions carry a far greater risk, as buyers do not see the car they are bidding on.
• Remember that salesmen work on a commission basis, so they are going to be looking for a high asking price for the car they sell. Aways feel you can haggle.
• Do not examine a vehicle at night time or during wet weather. You will not be able to spot scrapes and scratches that would otherwise be visible in dry conditions.
• Be brave and look under the bonnet.
• Never give out your account details if unsure. If you do and have reservation, contact your bank immediately.
Competitive car loans are available from St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union at a rate of 6.5 per cent (6.7 per cent APR ). To avail of a special car loan, customers will need to become a member of St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union. To set the wheels in motion. visiting St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union online. www.sacu.ie or talk to a member of staff in its branches, Mainguard St, Westside Shopping Centre, or Oughterard. Telephone free phone number: 1800 28 5626 (1800 CU LOAN ).