An independent safety report on the Seamus Quirke Road must be “immediately published” as it highlights 18 separate safety concerns.
This is the view of Fine Gael city councillor Pádraig Conneely, who is calling on the Galway City Council to make the contents of the report public.
The report was conducted for City Hall by Dublin firm, Barry & Partners Engineering Contractors, last November. According to Cllr Conneely the report highlighted 18 safety concerns relating to the Seamus Quirke Road.
The existence of the report was confirmed at a recent city council meeting but council officials informed Cllr Conneely that it would not be published.
However Cllr Conneely believes that publication is “vital” in the interest of public safety, “in light of the tragic accident on the Seamus Quirke Road last Saturday”.
Cllr Conneely has previously expressed concerns over the safety of the road and says he is “not satisfied” that these have been addressed.
“I am calling for a total review of safety issues on the Seamus Quirke Road so that any further tragic accidents can be avoided,” he said.
However City Hall is resisting calls for the publication of the report saying it is a matter between the local authority and the contractor, pointing out that such audits are undertaken to highlight any safety issues so that they may be addressed.