Why not make it your New Year’s resolution for 2011 to take steps to improve the energy efficiency of your home, a move which brings financial as well as ecological benefits.
With this in mind it makes sense to invest in energy saving products and appliances to reduce your energy consumption. With B&Q on hand to provide you with some advice and tips, 2011 could be the year you see big savings.
• Topping up your attic insulation to at least 270mm thickness could save you up to €220 per year.
• Fitting a good quality lagging jacket on your hot water cylinder could save you €45 per year.
• Fitting draught proofing to doors and windows can save up to €32 per year.
• Stop losing heat from your radiators; use radiator foil to maximise heat back into the room.
• Don’t heat a room you are not using – fit thermostatic radiator valves to each radiator so you control the temperature in each room.
• Energy monitoring devices can help you to monitor how much electricity you actually use.