FAI Umbro Women’s Senior Cup final

Peamount United 4
Salthill Devon 2

Áine O'Gorman was Peamount United's match-winner in the FAI Umbro Women's Senior Cup final at Tolka Park on Sunday as her hat-trick put paid to Salthill Devon's hopes of national silverware.

The Republic of Ireland senior international set up the first-half equaliser for Ruth Comerford before she brought her side level again close to the break and bagged a second half brace.

The Galway girls fought valiantly in their first-ever senior final, their two first half goals no less than they deserved, but it was all about O'Gorman after the interval as she nailed Peamount's cup final hoodoo which involved defeats in the 2005 and 2008 deciders.

Early in the game, it was Julieanne Russell's corner kicks that had United in a pickle and, from one such delivery, Lucy Hannon steadied herself at the back post to volley across goalkeeper Linda Meehan and into the far corner.

Salthill barely had time to draw breath when they were pegged back. The lively O'Gorman burst away down the left flank and her inviting cut-back to the edge of the area was angled home by Comerford's right boot.

The same pair combined on the half hour to give Salthill a fright but they survived that scare to re-take the lead on 34 minutes with Jennifer Critchley's opportunistic drive from the right finding the net.

Five minutes later, the teams were deadlocked once more. O'Gorman slipped into the penalty area from the left and, just as the ball looked to be heading past the end-line, she squeezed a shot through the legs of Tina Hughes and into the net off defender Emer Flatley.

Peamount sensed another goal and Hughes had to produce a spectacular point-blank save from O'Gorman's header on the stroke of the interval after Rachel Jenkins carved open the defence with the cross.

Meehan, who had played in both Peamount's previous final appearances, was called upon to stop a crisp Critchley shot five minutes after the restart but that's as close as it came for Salthill.

O'Gorman availed of some room in the 63rd minute to fire a dipping volley that clipped the inside of Hughes' near post and zipped into the net as Peamount powered into the lead for the first time in the final.

Seven minutes later and the striker had her hat-trick - racing free from Jennifer Murphy's lofted ball out of defence and drilling a shot beyond the keeper.

Jenkins might have extended the winning margin in stoppage time when O'Gorman squared for her inside the six-yard box only for Hughes to smother the effort.

Peamount United: Meehan; Sinnott, Murphy, S Byrne, S McGlone, Jenkins, Kelly (Lawlor 62 ), Hackett, Comerford; W McGlone, O'Gorman.

Sathill Devon: Hughes; Connell (Clarke 72 ), Flatley, Walsh, A Hannon; Critchley (Ashmore 88 ), Mullins (McPhilbin 66 ), Fahy, Russell; Mullins, L Hannon

Referee: Rhona Daly.



Page generated in 0.1015 seconds.