Man charged with sexual assault

A 36-year-old Galway man has been charged with sexually assaulting a young boy for more than two years at a house on the west side of the city.

The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was brought before Galway District Court last Monday charged with sexually assualting a boy between January 1, 2005, and June 1, 2007, at an address in the city, contrary to Section 2 of the Criminal Law (Rape ) Act.

Giving evidence of arrest, charge, and caution Detective Garda Peter Conlon told the court that the accused had been arrested before the court sitting and that in reply to the charge the he said: “I wasn’t really in my right mind.”

The court then heard that the book of evidence has been served on the accused and that the DPP advocated that the case proceed on indictment.

Judge Mary Fahy ordered that the man be returned for trial at the next sittings of Galway Circuit Court commencing October 5 and remanded him on continuing bail.

Conditions of the bail included that the accused sign on at this local Garda station three days a week between 9am and 9pm, that he remain under the care of mental health services, that he reside at the address furnished to gardai, and that he stay away and not have contact with the complainant or any witnesses.

Advertisement

 

Page generated in 0.1851 seconds.