Man charged with sexual assault sent forward for trial

A 36-year-old Galway man charged with three counts of sexual assault has been sent forward for trial.

The man, who cannot be named for legal reasons, appeared at Galway District Court this week charged with three counts of sexually assaulting a young girl at a premises in a Galway city housing estate on unknown dates between January 1, 2005, and December 31, 2006.

Detective Garda Peter Conlon gave evidence of arrest, charge, and caution. He said that in reply to the charges the accused man said: “I wasn’t in my right mind at the time” and “I am very sorry”. Det Garda Conlon then said that the book of evidence had been served on the man before the court sitting.

Inspector Michael Coppinger said the Director of Public Prosecutions has consented to the man being sent forward for trial.

Judge Mary Fahy noted this and made an order for the accused man to be returned for trial to Galway Circuit Court commencing April 27. The man was placed on his own bond of €300 with conditions that he reside at the address furnished, sign on three times weekly at his local garda station, that he continue to engage with mental health services, and have no contact with the complainant or any witness. Free legal aid was also granted.

Advertisement

 

Page generated in 0.1719 seconds.