A walk and fun day in memory of a four-year-old child who died from meningitis will take place in Oranmore village on Saturday June 27 at 2pm.
The events are being organised by the family of Aoibhe Carroll who died suddenly on April 2 last year.
“Through the walk and fun day out we wish to raise awareness of the disease and raise funds for the Meningitis Trust,” say the family. “There will be lots of fun activities for all ages, local sporting heroes, refreshments and Galway Bay FM on site. It’s set to be a great day out. There will also be professional advice about meningitis available on the day.”
For further information or to make a donation log onto www.mycharity.ie /event/aoibhesrainbow
Meningitis is an inflammation of the membranes which surround the brain and protect it and the spinal chord. The most common causes of meningitis are viruses and bacteria, according to the Meningitis Trust.
“These germs usually live harmlessly at the back of the throat. Most of us will carry them at some stage in our lives without becoming ill and they help us build up natural immunity. Occasionally these germs get past the body’s defences and cause infection. They are passed from person to person through coughing and sneezing but they will rarely cause disease.”
There are two types of meningitis, viral and bacterial. Viral is rarely life threatening although it can make people very unwell. Most people make a full recovery but sufferers can be left with after-effects of headaches, tiredness and memory loss.
Bacterial meningitis can be life threatening and needs urgent medical attention. Most people who suffer from bacterial meningitis recover but many can be left with a variety of after-effects and one in 10 will die.
Meningitis can affect anyone of any age. Young children are most at risk with students and over 55s also particularly vulnerable. Meningitis kills more children under five in Ireland than any other infectious disease.
There are about 300 cases of bacterial meningitis in Ireland each year and twice that number of viral meningitis.