The chief executive of the Galway City Council has revealed that he has been subjected to death threats over the local authority’s stance on temporary lighting at Knocknacarra all weather pitch.
Brendan McGrath told councillors at City Hall on Monday evening that he received letters threatening himself and his family over the council’s refusal to reinstate lighting at the existing 3G soccer pitch at Cappagh Park which was removed in December last year.
Mr McGrath said; “I totally get the annoyance of parents [of children who play for Knocknacarra Football Club]. For the third time I have received death threats – ‘Death to you Mr McGrath and your family’. My colleagues have got some snarky comments.
“I don’t wish people will communicate with me or my officials [this way]. I threw [the letters] out. It is absolutely appalling.”
While members of the chamber unanimously condemned the letters, a Green Party councillor Pauline O’Reilly said she did not think the letters were linked to Knocknacarra Football Club with Fine Gael councillor Clodagh Higgins asking Mr McGrath did he report the letters to the Garda.
Mr McGrath responded; The short answer is no. I have done this job for 44 years and I have received them before. I shredded them and put them in the bin.”