Dominick Street lost one of its longest residents when businesswoman Carmel Flaherty passed away recently. Her sudden death was a great shock to her neighbours and friends on the street and she will be greatly missed by them.
The O’ Flatharta shop was opened in 1938 by Bridie Flaherty, Carmel’s mother, and was one of Galway’s oldest surviving shops having operated for almost 80 years until it closed in 2016.
An old Galway favourite, the shop was described as an ‘Aladdin’s Cave’ of hidden treasures - praised by locals and tourists for its great service, friendliness and real old-Galway charm.
Carmel carried on that great service tradition. Locals say the shop highlighted the value of a place that people could trust. It was the hub where people could leave in keys for others to collect and a special social spot where locals could catch up with the goings-on of the day.
Having closed up shop just three years ago, Carmel had enjoyed an active retirement.
She is survived by her brothers Jimmy and Michaél and sisters Maura, Ailish, Deirdre and Hilda. She was predeceased by her bothers Christy and Stanley. Her celebration Mass was held in Galway Cathedral with her final resting place beside her parents Bridie and Michael in Bushy Park Cemetery.