Val Hanley finally gets on FF ticket

Val Hanley

Val Hanley

First he was, then he was not, then he was again - Val Hanley’s Lanigan’s Ball style efforts to get on the Fianna Fáil ticket for Galway City West, finally paid off this week.

On Tuesday it was announced that the former mayor would be added to the party ticket in the ward, alongside Peter Keane.

Mr Hanley had been enthusiastic to run since last year and had the backing of some of the cuamnn in the ward. However his possible candidacy failed to excite and word came through that he had dropped out of the race.

However with FF struggling to find a second candidate for Galway City West and few willing to take the challenge in an election in which FF are set for a hammering, Mr Hanley found himself in demand as one of the few willing to take the risk.

Although he will have grassroots support, Mr Hanley can expect an uphill battle to win a seat, especially in the current climate. Nonetheless he remains undaunted by the task.

“I bring a lot of experience to the table,” Mr Hanley said. “In order to achieve progress you have to work with various groups of people and find a common ground. The current city council have not served Galway well. Too may egos got in the way and all of these egos must be put aside for the betterment of the city and all its voters.”

Mr Hanley said he is “thoroughly disgusted” with the lack of representation the Knocknacarra and Salthill area has had over the past five years.

He said the main issues facing Galway City West are the lack of public transport initiatives and recreational facilities.

“A new sporting facility has been debated for over 10 years without a decision being made,” he said. “I will fight for the go ahead of the Galway City Outer Bypass, I will fight for the provision of improved and sustainable public transport for the area, and I will fight for the provision of sports and community facilities for the area.”

Advertisement

 

Page generated in 0.0896 seconds.