Christmas is nearly here, and now is the time of the year when our sleeping patterns go off the rails. Late nights, excessive drinking and eating, worrying over shopping, family, and money, all take their toll.
A recent survey found we lose more than 30 hours of sleep over the festive period. Short term lack of sleep makes us drowsy and irritable, and concentration will be affected, plus when you are tired your appetite increases so be careful not to overindulge more than normal this Christmas.
Better Bedding has a few tips that will help you sleep well through the festive season.
• Keep regular hours: try to go to bed and get up around the same time.
• Have a restful sleeping environment, with no decorations. Your bedroom should be neither too hot nor too cold, and be as quiet and dark as possible.
• Keep your curtains closed, ideally curtains that block light and sound.
• Make sure your bed is comfortable. It is hard to get a good night’s sleep on a bed thats too hard, too soft, too small, or too old. It should be big enough so that your partner rarely disturbs you, maybe a new bed should be on your Christmas list this year.
• Finally, have some earplugs handy to block out the sound of your partner’s snoring from alcohol or overindulgence in Christmas pudding.
For expert advice contact Better Bedding, Sean Mulvoy Road, Galway, phone 091 756766.