Tubberclair claim county minor football title as intermediate team prepares for Cusack Park return

Represented with distinction on football finals weekend in Cusack Park, Mullingar, Tubberclair savoured silverware success at minor level, while the club’s intermediate team must return to the same venue on Sunday for a replayed fixture with Shandonagh.

First into the breach on Saturday afternoon was the club’s intermediate squad who bravely retrieved a seven point half-time deficit to deservedly draw a dramatic final encounter in summer like conditions.

After drawing level and looking the most likely winners, it appeared that Tubberclair’s heroic second half performance was to prove fruitless when Shandonagh kicked an injury time point, but Eoghan McCabe unerringly pointed a pressure free with the last play of the game to ensure parity and a return to Cusack Park for a replay fixture this Sunday.

The results was nothing more than Tubberclair deserved and after a nervous first half, the squad were resolute and determined not to let a great season end on a disappointing note and would be hopeful of a successful outcome on Sunday should the second half display on Saturday be replicated for the game’s entirety this weekend.

Minor Final Success

If Saturday was like a day from high summer, then 24 hours later was more akin to a dark winter’s day, with biblical rain. It was hard to credit the contrast in conditions, but the one huge similarity between the club’s adult and minor teams, was the heart, determination and high skill levels displayed by the players.

This team have been superb since the start of their primary school days representing St Clare’s NS with distinction. They are known for their natural ability and want to play football at all times, irrespective of the conditions.

Despite the dreadful weather, the team continued to try to play quality, high tempo open football, which was joy to see. The quality of the score taking, from Kealan Connell’s audacious goal after two minutes to Tom Bourke’s two 45s in the second half, afforded an unbelievable boost to the club.

Conor Reid, the captain and hard-working leader of the squad, collected the cup upon the shrill of the final whistle and spoke so eloquently, and with such pride, on behalf of his group.

The shape, structure and game-plan never faltered at any stage, despite the weather making it so difficult. It was a credit to the lads, and the management team, to see them so well prepared and the reward reaped.


Page generated in 0.1177 seconds.