Athlone Town tamed by Treaty United as momentary winning momentum halted


A week after winning their first league game, Athlone Town were unable to build on the victory when they travelled to the Markets Field last Friday night as Treaty United scored twice inside the first 10 minutes - Thomas Oluwa did pull a goal back before the break but the damage had been done earlier.

The visitors did earn the first corner kick inside the opening minute but soon found themselves in arrears. A long throw in from Marc Ludden after six minutes saw Dean George plant a low header past the keepers left from inside the six-yard box.

The Town were further behind two minutes later. Jack Lynch was level with the home dug out inside the Athlone half when he took aim with a free kick. Andrew Skerritt advanced to the edge of his six-yard box but was soon back peddling in a vain attempt to keep the ball out. The spectacular goal which doubled the lead was a truly remarkable effort.

Conceding two goals in a three minute spell early in the game left Athlone with a considerable task on their hands and the visitors were lucky not to concede for a third time on 18 minutes. George sent in an inviting ball from the right and Oisin Duffy did well to clear the danger behind.

Athlone were then handed a lifeline after 21 minutes. A kick out fell to Oluwa who raced clear to fire a shot to the net from outside the penalty area. It proved to be the last goal of the game.

Treaty came close to restoring their two goal lead after 33 minutes. Firstly, Conor Melody was denied by Skerritt and then Joel Coustrain failed to find the net with the rebound. Athlone's reply came from a Gary Armstrong attempt which was saved. George continued to be a threat as his attempted chip cleared the bar.

Just before the break, Athlone had the chance to grab an equaliser. Oluwa was involved and shot just wide as the United keeper failed to clear the danger when advancing outside his box. Two corners in succession kept Athlone on the attack up to the break.

The second half saw Athlone try hard to get back on level terms. The hosts forced an early corner while Armstrong had a shot gathered by the United keeper. Shane Barnes headed wide as Oluwa then came even closer to scoring for the Town. Duffy sent in a low cross to the near post where the top scorer connected, the shot coming off the keeper with the rebound being sent wide from close range.

Treaty had the next chance as George on the right passed to Enda Curran but the ball was lobbed just wide. Duffy was also off target for Athlone while Curran had another chance for the hosts. Athlone forced another corner but were then denied by the woodwork. Barnes beat the offside trap and was unlucky to see his effort crash off the bar and bounce down. It was as close as Athlone came to grabbing an equaliser.


Page generated in 0.1181 seconds.