More buyers have been opting for quality second hand cars as opposed to new models, and Ford Ireland tells us that it and its network of dealers around the country are pleased with their new used car programme called 'FordSelect' (www.fordselect.ie ). It promises quality used cars and provides the highest levels of assurance to Irish customers.
“Let’s face it, second hand car sales have traditionally had an image problem”, according to Ford Ireland chief, Eddie Murphy. “There was always a certain element of ‘hope for the best’ when buying a second hand car. Our new FordSelect programme is aimed at taking the worry out of second hand car sales.”
Ford tells us that in preparing the 'FordSelect' programme, it and its dealer network identified five key concerns of an average second hand buyer and at each stage, built into the programme solutions that answer each of those concerns:
1. Untrustworthy claims of the dealer: It says that all 'FordSelect' cars undergo a 101-point AA Autocheck audit providing independent third party verification as to the quality of the vehicle.
2. Mechanical problems with the car: All FordSelect cars come with a 12-month dealer guarantee.
3. Roadside assistance in event of break down: All FordSelect cars come with free 12-month AA Rescue Cover.
4. Past history of the car: Once a customer has found their ideal car on the FordSelect website, a full Motorcheck vehicle history report can be downloaded for free (normally costs €35 ).
5. Financing the deal: Recently, availability of finance has been an issue for people seeking to buy a second hand vehicle, but as part of the FordSelect programme, easy, competitive finance is available via FordCredit.
The programme encompasses both Ford and non-Ford cars sold through participating Ford dealers.
High Performance Focus RS arrives here this month
The stunning new Focus RS is the road model of Ford’s fastest volume car. And it will debut here next month.
Available in a choice of three colours – including its striking, signature ‘Ultimate Green’ – with colour-matched performance interiors, the new Focus RS is the product of five years’ development work by Ford Team RS and combines bespoke engineering, design and aerodynamics with the inherent practicality of a Ford Focus.
At the heart of the new Focus RS is its turbocharged Duratec RS 2.5-litre engine, creating a distinctive performance character, with peak power of 300 bhp at 6,500 rpm and peak torque of 440Nm between 2,300 and 4,500 rpm. The previous Focus RS had peak power of 215 bhp.
The Focus RS powertrain features many bespoke engineering developments, including a new intake and exhaust system to aid engine cooling and breathing, and larger turbocharger, generating a 35 per cent power increase, versus Focus ST. Offering more torque than any Ford RS production car before it, Focus RS’ 440Nm peak is a 38 per cent increase over Focus ST.
The new Focus RS will arrive here with a price tag of €43,565 ex-works.