Local councillors have welcomed funding of over €1.6 million which has been allocated to Westmeath County Council towards private house grants for older people and people with a disability.
Funding of over €79.5 million nationally was announced by Minister for Housing and Local Services, Michael Finneran, on Wednesday. The schemes assist older people and people with disabilities to continue to live in their own homes.
Cllr Robert Troy said he was delighted with the funding of €1.66 million which has been allocated to Westmeath County Council.
“I welcome the news and am delighted with the level of funding. I have been in touch with the Minister’s office for a year regarding the continuation of the grant. It is very important for older people and people with disabilities as it affords them the opportunity to stay at home with dignity.
“It is also a very welcome €1.6 million for the construction industry, and small family builders and contractors will have the opportunity to tender for the work,” he said.
Cllr Ken Glynn also welcomed the allocation. “It gives me great pleasure to see that this funding will go ahead and will allow the elderly and disabled of this community to adapt their homes to their circumstances according to their needs.
“Last year alone the volume of people availing of this grant was considerable and I was privileged to work on their behalf in applying and assisting them with this grant for items such as adapting bathrooms for disability, generating downstairs bedrooms, and upgrading electrical and plumbing works, boilers, windows, doors, etc,” he said.