Scullion brace steers Saints into the next round of FAI Junior Cup

St Peters had little difficulty in advancing to the fourth round of the FAI Junior Cup when they put four goals past Skyvalley Rovers in Taughmaconnell last Sunday afternoon. The all Roscommon League cup tie was eagerly anticipated but unfortunately never lived up to expectations and was over as a contest as early as half time.

Skyvalley were hoping to create a shock on home soil but were never in contention with the Saints on top from the start. Mark McConnell had the first chance while two corner kicks in quick succession kept up the pressure on Rovers. It came as no surprise when the visitors took the lead after just 14 minutes. Niall Scullion exchanged passes with Mark Sherlock to create the opening. The initial strike from the left edge of the six yard box was blocked but the rebound was tucked away by the overlapping full back.

The lead was doubled soon after as the home defence was carved open down the right by David Donohoe. A deep cross picked out Sherlock who headed to the net from close range.

The one way traffic continued with Scott Delaney firing wide and another dangerous Donohoe cross saved by the keeper. The woodwork then denied McConnell as he headed a Mike Lee cross off the bar. Skyvalley's first chance came just before the half hour mark when Davy Grehan drilled a shot at Eoin Hardiman. The Rovers number nine tried hard throughout but got little change from the Saint's defence.

Eoin Glennon cleared a goalbound effort from Donohoe but goal number three soon arrived. Scullion grabbed his second when he nipped in to glance a header home following a free kick from Daragh Concannon. It was all too easy for Padraig Moran’s men and it became four nil a minute before the half time break. Sherlock’s initial shot was blocked by the keeper but the Saints striker reacted quickly to roll the rebound to McConnell who made no mistake with a low finish. The tie over as a contest when the half time whistle sounded.

Skyvalley, to their credit, at least had some consolation when play resumed as they kept a clean sheet in the second half. The home side kept trying and forced the first corner. Grehan further raised home spirits when firing wide from long range. Henry Odia then had a chance to create an instant impression when introduced by the Saints.

The substitute's strike was blocked by the keeper with a follow up effort also blocked. The tempo dropped as Peters appeared content with their four goal lead. A few chances were still created though as the second half progressed. From a Donohoe cross, Lee should have found the net with a headed effort. Three corner kicks kept the Saints on the attack. Donohoe also had a chance to make it five but scooped the ball over the bar. The last chance fell to another Saint's sub but Keith Mullarney was also off target with a headed effort.


Page generated in 0.0861 seconds.