Minor hurlers pip Kilkenny for All-Ireland final spot

The Galway minor hurlers under the guidance of Jeffrey Lynskey and his management team of Shane Cusack, Gavin Keary and John Commins did just enough last Sunday afternoon in Croke Park to join their senior counterparts in the All-Ireland final on the first weekend in September, when they defeated Kilkenny by 1-12 to 2-8, in the All-Ireland semi-final.

Substitute Enda Fahy from the Michael Cusack’s club came off the bench with ten minutes to play and he hit the winner for his side in the third minute of stoppage time.

The final on September 3 will be Galway’s second All-Ireland final appearance in three years. They won the 2015 final beating Tipperary.

Adrian Mullen, who had notched 3-38 in Kilkenny’s successful provincial campaign was very well-marshalled by Galway captain Darragh Morrissey from Sarsfields who gave a man-of-the-match performance in the full-back position.

Kilkenny led by 1-6 to 0-6 at the interval and Galway found themselves four points behind in the early stages of the second-half, before a really well taken Jack Canning penalty in the 39th minute brought them back into the contest.

The Portumna youngster has famous uncles in Joe and Ollie – and like Joe in the senior semi-final - he top-scored for his team and ended the contest with 1-4.

Sean Bleahane at right-corner forward also caught the eye with three from play, while free-taker Conor Walsh chipped in with 0-2.

Galway had some good chances in the second half that were not converted which would have made things a bit easier on themselves, and they hit five wides in that second half.

The Cats did create some goal chances in the second period and corner back Caimin Killeen made a crucial stop on the line from Mullen to deny him a goal that might have won the game for the Kilkenny lads.

The final quarter was a very cagey affair and both sides made a lot of mistakes.

A brace of Mullen scores were cancelled out by Bleahane and Galway sub Donal Mannion which left the tie level and it was a case of which ever side scored next would win.

It needed a bit of magic to separate the sides and it fell to Fahy to fire over the winning point from a tight angle in the 63rd minute to get Galway back into another All-Ireland final where they will play either Cork or Dublin.

Scorers for Galway: J. Canning 1-4 (1-0 pen ), S. Bleahane 0-3, C. Walsh 0-2 (0-2f ), C. Molloy, D. Mannion and E. Fahy 0-1 each.

Galway: D. Fahy (Ardrahan ), C. Killeen (Loughrea ), D. Loftus (Turloughmore ), D. Morrissey (Cpt ) (Sarsfields ), R. Glennon (Mullagh ), C. Caulfield (Kilconieron ), M. Gill (Castlegar ), C. Fahy (Padraig Pearses ), J. Fleming (Meelick Eyrecourt ), B. Moran (Tynagh/Abbey/Duniry ), C. Walsh (Turloughmore ), M. McManus (Loughrea ), S. Bleahen (Ahascragh Fohenagh ), C. Molloy (Kilnadeema/Leitrim ), J. Canning (Portumna ):

Subs used: S. Ryan (Clarinbridge ) for Fleming (34 ), D. Mannion (Cappataggle ) for Molloy (34 ), C. Elwood (Liam Mellows ) for Moran (46 ), E. Fahy (Michael Cusacks ) for McManus (52 )



Page generated in 0.1105 seconds.