No joy for Safety Direct in All Ireland final

Safety Direct failed in their quest for All Ireland honours when they went down by 0-20 to 0-12 to a strong Suir Engineering team in the All Ireland junior hurling final in the O’Loughlin’s GAA grounds in Kilkenny on Saturday.

It was a brave challenge from Safety Direct in the first season in interfirms hurling. Overcoming a slow start, Safety built up a five-point lead, but Suir finished the half the stronger and pulled away in the final 10 minutes.

Safety, with the breeze, squandered a few early opportunities before Suir drew first blood when the impressive Conor Tobin was on target with a free.

Safety, however, settled and were level three minutes later when Sean Linnane replied for the Galway side, while Conor Shaughnessy edged them in front with a free before further scores from Kevin Hayes and Barry Daly had Safety three clear after 14 minutes.

Joey McLoughney replied for the Waterford side, but with Safety winning the breaks around the centre, unanswered points from Conor Shaughnessy(2 ) and Michael Daly had Safety five clear after 21 minutes.

However Suir dominated the remainder of the half with six unanswered points to take a one-point lead at the break, 0-08 to 0-07.

Suir stretched their lead to three before Sean Linnane reduced the leeway with a fine score.

Both sides traded points with Conor Shaughnessy and David Donoghue on target for Safety, and another Shaughnessy free left just one between the sides as the match entered the final quarter. Conor Tobin stretched the Suir lead to three, and although Shaughnessy replied for Safety, the Waterford outfit finished the stronger, bringing the curtain down on the interfirms hurling season.

Safety Direct: L Donoghue, C Morris, P Doyle, C Morrissey, C Jennings, S Kavanagh, D Connolly, S Loftus, B Daly(0-1 ), S Linnane(0-2 ), K Hayes(0-1 ), C Feeney, C Shaughnessy (0-7, 5f ), M Daly (0-1 ), A Ward. Subs, D Donoghue(0-1 ), S Kilduff.



Page generated in 0.0792 seconds.