St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union will set the wheels in motion
Car buying can be a daunting experience, and St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union can help with some simple tips to help in the search for that dream car:
1. Never buy a car without seeing it first or having it checked over by a professional.
2. Ask to see the log book and, if a name is on it, ask for ID to verify the seller.
3. Dealers prices may often be higher than private owners, but there are certain advantages when buying from a dealer, eg, vehicle recently serviced, extended warranty, additional extras.
4. Do not examine a vehicle at night time or during wet weather. You will not be able to spot scrapes and scratches that would otherwise be very visible during dry conditions.
5. Remember that salesmen work on a commission basis so they will look for a high asking price for the car they sell. So always feel you can haggle.
6. Online auctions such as those found on eBay are becoming more popular. Auctions carry a far greater risk, as buyers do not get to see the car they are bidding on in the metal - instead, the buyer must gauge the car's condition, etc, from photos alone.
7. Be brave and look under the bonnet. Corroded battery terminals or holding brackets, an oily engine, frayed wiring and cracked hoses are all signs of neglect.
8. Never give out your account details if unsure. If you do and have reservation, contact your bank immediately.
9. Starting out you should ask yourself the following questions: What is your budget? How much will it cost you to run this car, in terms of tax, insurance and fuel consumption?
10. For competitive car loan rate at 6.5 per cent (6.7 per cent), speak to a St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union loans officer on 1800 CU LOAN = 1800 28 5626.
A St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union loan is low cost and high value. To avail of a special car loan, car buyers will need to become a member of St Anthony’s & Claddagh Credit Union. Visit online at www.sacu.ie, or talk a member of staff in branch.