Irish Water has appealed to people to continue to conserve water following a decision to lift a Water Conservation Order covering the north and west, one of several placed on the country earlier this year in response to drought conditions.
The order covering counties Clare, Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Leitrim, Roscommon, Donegal, Longford, Cavan, and Monaghan expires tomorrow (Friday ) and will not be renewed.
However restrictions will remain in place in the south and east of the country until the end of September.
The national utility has appealed to consumers to continue to conserve water as raw water supplies in rivers, lakes, and ground water sources remain lower than normal.
It said leakage repair teams are also working across the country to find and fix leaks.
August saw periods of rainfall nationally, and in the north and west this resulted in increased flows in rivers, and some recovery in lake levels, which have been confirmed by the OPW and ESB monitoring data. Irish Water has also been able to scale back the emergency measures put in place in these areas during July, with the majority of water supplies working normally.
“While the Water Conservation Orders have been lifted for areas of the country, we are hopeful that everyone will continue to conserve water,” Irish Water’s general manager, Eamon Gallen, said this week. “This prolonged drought has brought an increased awareness of the value of having an adequate continuous water service for homes and businesses around the country, with evident response in increased water conservation, and this must be continued as we all work together to protect and safeguard our water resources for our future needs.”
Advice on water conservation measures are available on www.water.ie